MindVision SUA630M (USB3.0 IMX178)

Discuss about cameras, projectors, calibration panels, turntables etc.
OBNRacerMan

MindVision SUA630M (USB3.0 IMX178)

Post by OBNRacerMan »

I just got my camera (I haven’t tested it yet). There was a problem with downloading drivers (the link is not working on the official MindVision website), but it was found elsewhere. The camera became visible both in the HP3Dscan scanning program and even in Media Player Classic (at the same time, the regular Camera application (unlike the old YW500U3) does not see it, since it was registered as an Imaging Device in the system).
Attachments
20191203112932s.jpg
20191203112922s.jpg
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
OBNRacerMan

Re: MindVision SUA630M (USB3.0 IMX178)

Post by OBNRacerMan »

dental_art wrote: 05 Dec 2019, 14:48 http://www.mindvision.com.cn/
I know this site, but there is an error trying to download software for the camera.
Error summary
HTTP error 404.0-not found
The resource you were looking for has been deleted, renamed, or temporarily unavailable.

Found the same here but a little more than the earlier version 2.1.10.93 and not version 2.1.10.103.
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

Conducted a small experiment that interested me (but useless in terms of scanning)
In a room with very low light (where even vision, after adapting to the dark, could only guess that “there is something”), a camera (with parameters for “maximum shutter speed” and “maximum gain”) is “something” not bad I saw.
"Something in the Dark" :-)
"Something in the Dark" :-)
The second part of the test is infrared illumination from the remote control of the projector from a distance of about 40cm.
The same, but with IR illumination
The same, but with IR illumination
Of course, the number of frames per second was not discussed.
Mr_Lafuente

Post by Mr_Lafuente »

Hello OBNRacerMan... Do you have some scans to post, made with this cam? What do you can say about this model?
Thanks!
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

Mr_Lafuente wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 20:33 Hello OBNRacerMan... Do you have some scans to post, made with this cam? What do you can say about this model?
Thanks!
Hey. Here somewhere, starting from this place onwards, I showed test scans received with the SUA630M (there is also a comparison of the same models scanned with my previous YW500U3 cameras).
hoffybeefe

Post by hoffybeefe »

Hi OBNRacerMan,

Thanks for your informative posts!

A quick question... i've been considering a camera upgrade for my setup for about 18 months now and i can't come to a conclusion. So perhaps your feedback may help me decide. I am trying to chose between three cameras and was wondering if you could suggest pros/cons for each or which you'd suggest given them.

I can't chose between:

FLIR BFS-U3-63S4M-C USB 3.1 Blackfly® S, Monochrome (792 AUD)
Basler Ace acA3088-57um USB 3.0 Monochrome (880 AUD)
MindVision SUA630M (about 500 AUD)

The things that make me indecisive are that i've love to eventually buy a second camera so the cheaper one (with still a good sensor) seems like a great option only i'm concerned of its support (its drivers and ability to work within applications) as it seems like a none-name brand/small brand unlike the Basler and FLIR. So i hesitate to get that one. So then i think i should stick to my original choice of the FLIR. But then i hear that they have issues with their drivers (or something) and may not work with DAVID/HPScan so perhaps i should go with Basler seems its a similar price and same sensor. But i'm unsure if its supported by DAVID/HPScan but i'm pretty sure other applications like FlexScan3D support Basler officially. And of course... buying two would be out of the question so i'd have to be happy with using a signle (which is ok as i dont scan that often so its just a nicety if could try two for the first time seems i waited so long for DAVID to support 2 cameras).

Thanks for any input!

PS. I currently use my Canon HF G30 Video camera connected to my capture card (which works pretty great only its PAL can iget out of sync patterns a lot but otherwise still good for my projects) with a Dell M110 Projector.
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

Hey.

I have never dealt with FLIR - therefore I cannot say anything about them.

The Basler Ace acA3088-57um camera in terms of specifications (since it has a 10-12 bit image resolution (and I am inclined to believe this)) looks better than the SUA630M - which has 12 bits on the seller’s website and only 8 bits on the manufacturer’s website (and it indeed it is). But the higher the bit depth, the more gradations of gray the camera can “see”.

Personally, I have to buy cheap versions due to the economic limitations of my income.

As for the FlexScan3D program, two camera manufacturers (PointGrey and uEye) were previously supported there, but in later versions, they say, only PointGrey remained.
hoffybeefe

Post by hoffybeefe »

Hi,

FLIR was formerly PointGrey as i understand it? Have you heard of any issues with DAVID/HPScan with FLIR cameras in your travels? I thought i heard there were troubles with them in previous times (and forums) so i'm hesitant to get that one even though it was always my main pick/at the top of the list. Its even a pinch cheaper then the Basler.

Would you happen to know if its capable of doing 5MP at 63fps like the MindVision lists in its specs? I'm not sure the FLIR/Basler will do that as i can't seem to find it listed. I'm not sure if 59.6fps would create issues not being quick 59.97/60fps. Perhaps its not an issue but it was yet another niggling "what if/maybe/i'm unsure so i may have to count that camera out"! :)

If money was no object is it safe to assume you'd go Basler (and/or FLIR if you had no driver/compatibility issues known)? I would have thought that one of the standards like GenICam or USB Vision that it would like a default driver model that software would just implement and any camera wthat supported it would work? much like connecting a camera to a computer used to work with a capture software back in the day (supportted VfW or DirectShow and whatever else).
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

I still have only one camera (SUA630M) and I don’t see any problems with speed (to synchronize with the projector, I set the shutter speed to 16.67 seconds (at a resolution of 1920x1080, you can set the shutter speed to 8.335 seconds and get 120fps, but in fact this makes no sense, since my the projector is only at 60Hz maximum)).
I achieved frame rates in VGA resolutions around 500fps :-)
The computer sees this camera in the Imaging Devices list - as it works through DirectShow, and not (UVC) Universal Camera Driver in Windows.

As for other camera manufacturers ...
If I didn’t have money restrictions, then this is a difficult choice - on the one hand, PointGrey cameras can be used with FlexScan3D, which is more advanced than David, but there is no certainty that it is compatible with David. But Basler is very similar to SUA (and most likely should be compatible with at least David), so most likely I would choose Basler.

P.S. Unfortunately, all these are just my assumptions - we have any cameras of this level available only on order, respectively, to find out whether it suits or not, you can only after you bought it (and return, in which case, almost not realistic).