ComXim (USB) turntables & HP 3D Scan

Discuss about cameras, projectors, calibration panels, turntables etc.
VancoD

ComXim (USB) turntables & HP 3D Scan

Post by VancoD »

Hello all -

I'm new to the forum and new to 3D scanning. In fact, I have yet to make my first "real" scan as I'm still learning the process.....

I was fortunate enough to come into an HP 3D Scan Pro setup and need to find a working turntable. I found (and purchased) a ComXim model that supports a USB connection. While clunky, I can manually advance the table and take my scans. But what I'd really like to do is to automate this process.

Has anyone made these 2 work together? I did a search or the forum and didn't see anything cogent.

TIA
Micr0

Re: ComXim (USB) turntables & HP 3D Scan

Post by Micr0 »

VancoD wrote: 30 Oct 2021, 13:31 Hello all -

I'm new to the forum and new to 3D scanning. In fact, I have yet to make my first "real" scan as I'm still learning the process.....

I was fortunate enough to come into an HP 3D Scan Pro setup and need to find a working turntable. I found (and purchased) a ComXim model that supports a USB connection. While clunky, I can manually advance the table and take my scans. But what I'd really like to do is to automate this process.

Has anyone made these 2 work together? I did a search or the forum and didn't see anything cogent.

TIA

what version of the HP (David) software do you have?
µ
VancoD

Post by VancoD »

It's the latest release from HP (I believe they still call it David 5 - sp77433) - but they have the v4 release available as well if required.

I naively hoped the software would just see a USB turntable and work, but clearly there's more to this than just some sort of standard COMM connection.
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

VancoD wrote: 01 Nov 2021, 16:09 It's the latest release from HP (I believe they still call it David 5 - sp77433) - but they have the v4 release available as well if required.

I naively hoped the software would just see a USB turntable and work, but clearly there's more to this than just some sort of standard COMM connection.
My understanding is the turntable support was made proprietary in David 5. You need the HP turntable and the other comm functions were removed. That said there is someone who posted a DIY turntable here that they got to work with V5.
µ
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

Situations were described in which people managed (using "crutches" in the form of additional programs such as AutoIT and some more) to get a homemade turntable with HP V5 to work. However, this works with limitations (and for me personally it did not work at all, although, it would seem, I did it according to the instructions).

Link to description of required actions
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret