Join me? Open source 3d scanning turn table software development

Discuss about cameras, projectors, calibration panels, turntables etc.
mlw19mlw91

Join me? Open source 3d scanning turn table software development

Post by mlw19mlw91 »

While there's software out there that works, they all seem to have some limitations, and are not compatible with all softwares.

My goal is this: For HP 3d scan software, we can use python pyautogui to read the screen and detect when the next scan button becomes active. It will then turn the turn table the preset number of degrees, and initiate the next scan by automatically pressing the respective key on the keyboard.

Obviously we could make it work with different softwares with minor changes, to the places to click and buttons to press, for example.

All of the examples out there seem to be for one type of stepper setup or another, and I want to make one setup that uses multiple kinds of stepper motors and drivers.

Any thoughts or want to help?

https://github.com/MichaelWoodc/Stepper ... le-3D-scan
OBNRacerMan

Re: Join me? Open source 3d scanning turn table software development

Post by OBNRacerMan »

So, it seems, something similar has already happened - 3D Scanner Turntable for DAVID5 (now HP 3D Scan) by JanBastianBeck
A similar principle of operation with large restrictions on the angle of rotation of the table, which must be set in the firmware, etc.
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
mading

Post by mading »

I succeded in using Beck's approach with AutoIt.
It was just for fun, since I soon moved to RV. You can code the angle and whatever.
Nowaday it would be more interesting to work on the microntroller code for the RV and Flex to make it a 2-3 axis such as martan did.
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

mading wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 07:47 ...to make it a 2-3 axis...
It seems to me that another problem when using a rotary table with two degrees of freedom will be the need to recalibrate the rotary axis after changing the angle.
P.S. Yes, you can work without axis calibration, but even on objects with a strongly pronounced structure and shape, sometimes there are times when automatic alignment during scanning on a turntable is violated (in the case when markers are not used)
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
mading

Post by mading »

using markers can help assessing this issue, if you stick it in the revolving base.
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable
mlw19mlw91

Post by mlw19mlw91 »

OBNRacerMan wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 21:13 So, it seems, something similar has already happened - 3D Scanner Turntable for DAVID5 (now HP 3D Scan) by JanBastianBeck
A similar principle of operation with large restrictions on the angle of rotation of the table, which must be set in the firmware, etc.
I did try that, you will see I posted a question in 2018, however, I was not able to get it to work, there is a newer version of autoIT (or some other thing that was used) and they deprecated some functions or something. I can't remember what exactly it was.
OBNRacerMan wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 11:47
mading wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 07:47 ...to make it a 2-3 axis...
It seems to me that another problem when using a rotary table with two degrees of freedom will be the need to recalibrate the rotary axis after changing the angle.
P.S. Yes, you can work without axis calibration, but even on objects with a strongly pronounced structure and shape, sometimes there are times when automatic alignment during scanning on a turntable is violated (in the case when markers are not used)
With the HP 3D scan software you do not need to calibrate the axis manually, the software attempts, and usually successfully finds the axis of rotation all on its own. You would simply scan at one tilt angle then group all of those scans, then scan from a different angle and group all of those scans. It really is a very good software, I've not scanned anything on the turn table (yet) that has not worked. However, the turn table is terribly small and underpowered. I found it's limits scanning a steering knuckle / front wheel hub assembly from a late model corvette. I had to hack the power supply to deliver more power to the stepper motor.

I must admit that I cannot find it, it was on thingiverse, I have a turn table and software to control it, however, the code was not commented and it was written in arabic IIRC so the names mean nothing to me and I cannot modify it to use my own stepper motor and driver since I have no idea what's going on :(

but yes if I could find an operational software that I can easily configure to drive my custom turn table then that would be awesome!