Troubleshooting a YW500U3M

Discuss about cameras, projectors, calibration panels, turntables etc.
Docmani

Troubleshooting a YW500U3M

Post by Docmani »

I purchased one of these YW500U3M cameras off EBay.

I plug it in to my Windows 11 laptop. It recognizes it device manager but whenever I try to use it, there is no video and it usually errors out (just trying it with the Windows camera app)

I tried it on my Mac. Same deal. Video doesn’t work in FaceTime or photo booth.

Did I get a bad camera or do I need some sort of driver?

Trying to use it with David 4.
greenskynet

Re: Troubleshooting a YW500U3M

Post by greenskynet »

Docmani wrote: 15 May 2022, 20:45 I purchased one of these YW500U3M cameras off EBay.

I plug it in to my Windows 11 laptop. It recognizes it device manager but whenever I try to use it, there is no video and it usually errors out (just trying it with the Windows camera app)

I tried it on my Mac. Same deal. Video doesn’t work in FaceTime or photo booth.

Did I get a bad camera or do I need some sort of driver?

Trying to use it with David 4.
change its cable
Docmani

Post by Docmani »

I tried that. Still nothing. The seller has sent me two pieces of software to try. Both didn't work. I think its a bad camera, but I don't know how to verify that.
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

I don’t know how in Win11, but in Win10, using standard tools, you could see if the camera is working in the correct mode in the Devices and Printers section (I have one camera (slightly different - "black" YW500U3) constantly wrote that "the device can work faster if insert it into USB3.0", although it was already there).
If the message "works via USB3.0" - this is already some "positive" hint. Also - is there any possibility to test them on Win10?
P.S. By themselves, these cameras do not require any additional drivers, using the UVC drivers built into Windows.
You can also try to connect to the camera via MPC-HC (Mediaplayer Classic - Homecinema) - select the camera through the "capture device" settings, and then - "open device"
camera menu in MPC-HC
camera menu in MPC-HC
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
Docmani

Post by Docmani »

So I got the seller to send me a replacement and the new camera works just fine. Definitely bad hardware.

Now I'm just dealing with the flicker at low exposure times. From what I read, thats likely due to the color wheel in the DLP projector I'm using? I assume I can pull it out (leaving it connected) and that will clean up the flicker?
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

Flickering, to a large extent, depends on the synchronization of the frequencies of the camera and the projector. When I used the YW500U3M I set the projector to 50Hz so that the camera with its 25Hz would be a "multiple" of the projector's frequency.
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret