Laser Projector

Discuss about cameras, projectors, calibration panels, turntables etc.
Dasq3d

Re: Laser Projector

Post by Dasq3d »

Sorry it's been so long but i had to rebuild the entire system to suit the laser projectors refresh rate.

I have a elp 8mp box camera and a Cosmicar 8.5mm lens for the standard projector which only does 1,2,4,8,16,32,64 exposure times.

The Sony lp has a refresh rate of 30htz and the camera would only drop the lines at 1/2s exposure.
It did a lovely job at that speed but scans were slow and it didn't allow much scope for adjustment after calibration.

One of the jobs I have lined up for this portable setup is to scan that has difficulty remaining in positions under will power alone so its needs to be quick.

So I dug out the trusty old Logitech C270 and and tested it out and it synced perfectly at 1/60s. Result! So I ripped it apart and got to designing a new body to take my lovely Cosmicar lens. A day later I had it printed, sprayed it black, fitted a tripod mount to the bottom et voila, new camera.

I now have the whole rig mounted onto a £20 Tablet flexistand which cramps onto the edge of my desk or a tripod and can be easy moved into any position.

So...... Does it work???

Yes it does. I was getting some strange surface bumps when i used the biggest calibration panels i had which i assumed was laser speckle but i now think it was due to this model only being 37 lumens max and only 30 really. I hadn't really considered this because it looks amazingly bright for what it is and I was scanning in direct sunlight.

Next I reduced the calibration size and turned off the lights and the contrast on this thing (80,000/1) really stands out, blacks are completely black and the lines are sharp forever. The scans came out very nicely with a much bigger depth of field and with no David quality check or outline removal.

I can now scan black items reasonably well and even a few reflective surfaces quite well. Used/scratched up aluminium no problem. I even manage to scan a washed up plastic soup pot from the supermarket. Only single scan while I was testing it out but I was amazed.

I'm not saying go buy one but it is also amazing as a game projector as well as long as your in total darkness the colours are awesome and the refresh rate is instant. I would love to see what a 3000 lumen one is like. I will definitely still have to use my bigger projector for larger things but as a mobile small item scanner (under about a foot and a bit I would say) it is more than I was hoping for.

My whole setup with a Windows tablet now runs on batteries. Out into the woods I will go.

It does an amazing job of projecting pure white for texturing too.

Once I work out how I will post some pics.

Thanks for reading and keep posting I want to know more.
Dasq3d

Post by Dasq3d »

A 1" Meteorite
A 1" Meteorite
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

I Can't wait to see your scans. Sounds exciting.
µ
Dasq3d

Post by Dasq3d »

Was Loving it. Really loving it! now it wont turn on. Sad Smiley !!
Managed a couple, posted on latest scans
Watch this space for more when it gets replaced
Dasq3d

Post by Dasq3d »

Finally got a replacement. Be warned buying something in the UK can be a pain in the butt if it only comes with a Hong Kong warranty.

WATCH THIS SPACE