Laser Projector

Discuss about cameras, projectors, calibration panels, turntables etc.
Dasq3d

Laser Projector

Post by Dasq3d »

Hi Scanners.

Thanks for creating a sensible place to think.

I was wondering if anyone has tried to use, say a sony laser projector for scanning?

I am very intersted to know if it always being in focus would aid or hinder scanning?

I would also expect to see better results on dark surfaces and such as it would bounce back more light?

There is also the possability to create an AVI with a 1 pixel thin blue line rolling from top to bottom or left to right for laser scanning?

Really looking forward to your thoughts.

Dan
Micr0

Re: Laser Projector

Post by Micr0 »

Dasq3d wrote: 28 Mar 2017, 13:37 Hi Scanners.

Thanks for creating a sensible place to think.

I was wondering if anyone has tried to use, say a sony laser projector for scanning?

I am very intersted to know if it always being in focus would aid or hinder scanning?

I would also expect to see better results on dark surfaces and such as it would bounce back more light?

There is also the possability to create an AVI with a 1 pixel thin blue line rolling from top to bottom or left to right for laser scanning?

Really looking forward to your thoughts.

Dan
I've been thinking about this too. I wanted to try it and see if the added depth of focus of the projection was something that improved accuracy. I suspect it would, but haven't found a suitable projector except the small "portable" projectors. I will admit that I haven't really pursued this much but would like to. What projectors did you have in mind?
µ
Dasq3d

Post by Dasq3d »

Hi Micr0

Nice to know someone is listening thank you.

I was thinking either the UO Smartbeam Laser pico cube.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Electronics- ... beam+laser

Or the Sony MP CL1a

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MP-CL1-da ... 7PY0HSK2MQ

I would like a small and portable setup and thought these were an interesting alternative.

Add to the confusion with a light field camera?

Always in focus projector and always in focus camera, I guess you would need a tape measure to make sure it was the right distance?
Dasq3d

Post by Dasq3d »

Just interested to know if anyone thinks a laser projector is a bad idea or if increased depth of field would improve scans?

Quite keen to crack on and buy one unless there is a reason not to?

Thanks
Dasq3d

Post by Dasq3d »

Talking to myself i know but i ordered one.

Will post results in a couple of weeks.
Curiousjeff

Post by Curiousjeff »

I was unaware of this kind of projector before your post.

I read a little, but did not found any mention that the focus was any different from a regular projector:

"In the purest form, red, green and blue lasers are "defocused" to fill an entire DLP, LCOS, or LCD chip. The lasers don't scan the chip (or the screen). So, in fairness, "laser projector" is about as much of a misnomer as "LED TV." Both terms refer to the of name the technology that creates the light -- lasers and light-emitting diodes, respectively -- not the technology that creates the image as a whole. "DLP projector" and "LCD TV" would be more accurate.

Lasers replace the UHP, Xenon, and other lamps found in current projectors. So even though that makes "laser projectors" a little less futuristic (more evolution than revolution), they're still way cool, and offer lots of benefits."

https://www.cnet.com/news/why-lasers-ar ... rojectors/

Granted, the beam is fully directed to the DLP/LCOS which would provide a brighter image, but for the rest, I don't see a difference.

I would prefer a way of removing the refresh frequency while an image is being projected, something like the "good" old slide projector. The only frequency to be concerned about would be that of the light source itself.

Jeff
VDX

Post by VDX »

Hi Jeff,

I have modified several DLP-projectors to "lampless" operation, deactivated the colour-wheel, and replaced the light source with own types (high power UV-LED's or 445nm- or 405nm-laserdiodes with own drivers too) -- so, if you'll need full control, simply modify your projector too ...

Viktor
Viktor
Curiousjeff

Post by Curiousjeff »

Unfortunately, the main culprit is the actual frequency of the mirrors in the DLP (around 60hz). If the mirrors would stay "still" during the projection of one image and only change upon the next image, then I image the line/waves/sync problem we encounter would be mostly resolved.

Right now, the mirrors rotate around 60 times per second while displaying a single image.

I think, but could be wrong, that the color wheel and frequency of the light source have less influence.

Micr0 had done various test also in regards to possible vibrations due to the fan, but the conclusion was that the fan was not the cause of the problem.

Jeff
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

My current thinking is that matching the display frequency to the camera as best as possible goes the furthest in reducing the surface lines problem.

This could be another advantage of a laser based projector if the scan rate of the laser could be timed to the shutter somehow.

I look forward to the results of testing one of these projectors.
µ
Dasq3d

Post by Dasq3d »

Should be here on friday. Hopefully some good results coming up. :mrgreen: