Xtion2 ToF (depth) camera & LattePanda

Talking about a 3d scanner that doesn't fit into one of the other scanning methods? Here is the right place!
SpatialProf

Xtion2 ToF (depth) camera & LattePanda

Post by SpatialProf »

I'm trying to create a battery powered handheld "scanner" using a Time-of-Flight (ToF) camera and single board computer. I've chosen the ASUS Xtion2 and paired it with a LattePanda (with Win10). I chose the LattePanda because it is powerful for its size and had USB3 (a requirement of the Xtion2). I will be 3D printing a bespoke enclosure for it, which should made it all look like a tablet crossed with a camera!

I have everything I need (inc. battery and 7" touchscreen) and everything powers up. I can also view the depth image and RGB image successfully using NIviewer. What I won't be able to do is to reconstruct a full 3D point cloud or mesh in near real time with the LattePanda, as there is no GPU (and as it is the FPS is very low on the LattePanda). Instead I just want to capture the XYZ point cloud (preferably with RGB) every few seconds as I move the device around an object, then export these to my powerful, fast desktop PC with nVidia GTX 1080ti for aligning and merging into one point cloud and meshing etc. Sound simple??!!

I was hoping I could use Kscan3D to do exactly this, but it cannot detect my Xtion2. This may simply be due to it only supporting the earlier Xtions? However, does anyone know of a fix or work-around? This would be the simplest solution.

Does anyone know of any alternatives (freeware or cheap) which work with Xtion2 and only capture single point clouds (and therefore not require a GPU)?

Otherwise, would anyone be willing to help me with some code to do it?

Many thanks

Andy
Micr0

Re: Xtion2 ToF (depth) camera & LattePanda

Post by Micr0 »

Hi Andy,
You are way out of my wheel house with this one. I havn't seen KScan in a few years but I though it was similar to David in that if used a sequence of patterns for capture. are you trying to develop what is essentially a real time hand held?
µ
SpatialProf

Re: Xtion2 ToF (depth) camera & LattePanda

Post by SpatialProf »

Not real-time, as there in no on-board GPU. I just want to capture the depth images (essentially point clouds), hopefully also with RGB, one at a time and then register them on my more powerful desktop with a good GPU.

It seems I might be able to code something myself, by dusting off what little C++ knowledge I have :? but if anyone either A) knows of an existing bit of software to do the capture; or B) can do/help me with the coding I'd be very grateful! ;)