Scanning van interior

You don't know yet, which scanning system to buy or build or if 3d scanning is for you at all? Ask here!
SilverApe

Scanning van interior

Post by SilverApe »

Hi all,
I don't own a 3d scanner (yet). I have messed a bit with the kinect (5 years ago, and it was cool). I have read a lot and seen a lot of different scanners (on the internet).
I am a carpenter and I would like to scan the interior of a van for measurements. I design my work in sketchup or fusion 360. I would like to be able to import my scan in any of those packages and use it as a reference.

I really don't know what scanner I should make/buy. Any advice would be welcome.
New to my options is Lidar. I saw some cheap Chinese Lidar devices. Is Lidar something that could be used for this?

It does not have to be super precise. Around 1mm would be sufficient. Easy/fast to setup. Not to expensive to buy/make.

Did I forget something?

Thanks in advance.
Aaron
Micr0

Re: Scanning van interior

Post by Micr0 »

SilverApe wrote: 17 Dec 2018, 09:59 Hi all,
I don't own a 3d scanner (yet). I have messed a bit with the kinect (5 years ago, and it was cool). I have read a lot and seen a lot of different scanners (on the internet).
I am a carpenter and I would like to scan the interior of a van for measurements. I design my work in sketchup or fusion 360. I would like to be able to import my scan in any of those packages and use it as a reference.

I really don't know what scanner I should make/buy. Any advice would be welcome.
New to my options is Lidar. I saw some cheap Chinese Lidar devices. Is Lidar something that could be used for this?

It does not have to be super precise. Around 1mm would be sufficient. Easy/fast to setup. Not to expensive to buy/make.

Did I forget something?

Thanks in advance.
Aaron
Whats your budget? There are some fairly good hand held scanners that are probably good for what you want to d in the $5k range.
µ
SilverApe

Re: Scanning van interior

Post by SilverApe »

Hi Micr0,
That is to expensive for me. I think my budget will be around €1000 but I will see what comes up as a good scanner and maybe I have to save some money to buy a good one.
I would just like to know now what would be a good method/scanner to scan an interior of a van. This way I know where or what to search for.

greetings,
Aaron