reflex SLR and DSLR lenses and industrial cameras

Discuss about cameras, projectors, calibration panels, turntables etc.
mading

reflex SLR and DSLR lenses and industrial cameras

Post by mading »

Hi there.
I'm playing around with one idea.
I have a simple question.
micr0 already posted in the old forum.

I'm using computar M1214 lenses with DMK23UX236 and wishing to improve lenses.

Did anybody tried his/her dlsr lenses with industrial cameras? If so, what's the main advantages?

I see that the Flange focal distance is quite different in slr and infustrial cameras:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance
canon mount is 44 mm, while cs-mount is 12.526 (1/2"?). I guess this kind of stuff takes it into account: https://fotodioxpro.com/products/eos-c-pro-iris-dclk

Did anybody tried this adapter with manual IRIS? EOS EF lenses are not so practical when it's time for manual changing the diaphgram.
A possible candidate lens: SIGMA 10-20mm F/3.5 AF (around 280+VAT)

Cheers

mading
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable
Micr0

Re: reflex SLR and DSLR lenses and industrial cameras

Post by Micr0 »

mading wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 06:39 Hi there.
I'm playing around with one idea.
I have a simple question.
micr0 already posted in the old forum.

I'm using computar M1214 lenses with DMK23UX236 and wishing to improve lenses.

Did anybody tried his/her dlsr lenses with industrial cameras? If so, what's the main advantages?

I see that the Flange focal distance is quite different in slr and infustrial cameras:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance
canon mount is 44 mm, while cs-mount is 12.526 (1/2"?). I guess this kind of stuff takes it into account: https://fotodioxpro.com/products/eos-c-pro-iris-dclk

Did anybody tried this adapter with manual IRIS? EOS EF lenses are not so practical when it's time for manual changing the diaphgram.
A possible candidate lens: SIGMA 10-20mm F/3.5 AF (around 280+VAT)

Cheers

mading

Yes. I'm currently using Nikon lenses on my rig.

Name brand SLR lenses are very hi quality with very little distortion and excellent resolution. You can get good manual focus prime lenses fairly cheaply, and can get much higher resolution lens for much less than a similar resolution (OTF) industrial lens.
However. These lenses are big and often heavy and can limit the size of the object you can scan because it is just harder to get them close enough to the projector. This will be come clearer as I describe what I have found.

The biggest problem I found using SLR lenses is that since they are made to focus an image on to a 35mm sensor (or film [remember that?}). Their focal length is completely different when used with an industrial camera. I have 2 Nikon 18mm manual lenses that are considered super wide angle in the photography world, but are more telephoto than compared to the 12mm lenses made for the 1" sensor of the IS camera. On the IS cameras the image is about the equivalent of an 85mm lens on a SLR. Going to a wider angle lens (like the Nikon 12mm) gets much more expensive and you start to get significant distortion at the edges of the image. The other issue is aperture (brightness). The brighter the lens the more expensive it is and the larger it is (small scanning?) My lenses are the brighter of the 2 18mm that Nikon made at F3.5. That isn't very bright when considering the Fuji lenses I have are F1.8. I scan with a fairly bright projector in a windowless room, so for me it isn't a problem. One other note about the aperture, the aperture on SLR lenses isn't calibrated. That means F5.6 on one lens can be totally different that F5.6 on another lens even if it's the same brand and model. I often find when adjusting the exposure before calibration that my aperture settings will be different on the two cameras. This of course is not a big deal, but there are even more expensive Distagon lenses for the film industry that do have calibrated apertures if you really wanted to spend some $.
µ
mading

Re: reflex SLR and DSLR lenses and industrial cameras

Post by mading »

Thanks micro.
I guess mount length could play a role in the "tele" or "macro" effect.
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable