Fuse 3D-scans based on their surface color information

Discussions about software for post-processing, usage of 3d scans and everything else you might do after you have scanned an object.
J.B.

Fuse 3D-scans based on their surface color information

Post by J.B. »

Hello,

Ive got as hardware the HP Pro S2 without turntable and use as software HP 3D Scan 5. I'm pretty new to the 3D scanning topic so please forgive me if my question may sound dumb :D
So I want to scan rotationally symmetric objects with a smooth surface. HP 3D Scan 5 can't fuse the single scans together to one model. For me it seems that the software uses geometrical unique parts of the single models to fuse them together. I couldnt find any software documentary referring to that.
So my question is: Is there software (preferably open source/freeware) that can fuse single scans into a model using only the surface color information?
Micr0

Re: Fuse 3D-scans based on their surface color information

Post by Micr0 »

J.B. wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 07:19 Hello,

Ive got as hardware the HP Pro S2 without turntable and use as software HP 3D Scan 5. I'm pretty new to the 3D scanning topic so please forgive me if my question may sound dumb :D
So I want to scan rotationally symmetric objects with a smooth surface. HP 3D Scan 5 can't fuse the single scans together to one model. For me it seems that the software uses geometrical unique parts of the single models to fuse them together. I couldnt find any software documentary referring to that.
So my question is: Is there software (preferably open source/freeware) that can fuse single scans into a model using only the surface color information?
Most of the programs use topology to determine alignment. When you have relatively featureless topology the software will have trouble. Two things you can try is using the A-B Alignment tool, where you pick points on two scans you know should be aligned and the software will try from there. It's like giving the software a hint. The other thing is to include positional markers in your scans. These can be placed on the subject or on the fixture holding the subject and deleted later after alignment is done. I use children's small plastic letters hot glued where I need them.
µ
J.B.

Re: Fuse 3D-scans based on their surface color information

Post by J.B. »

Thank you!
This helps me alot. I will try it out tomorrow with dough. Maybe I could 3D-print some "unique" markers and place them on the table around the object...
The A-B alignment didn't work for me on that object even after several tries.