Some tweak for close-up calibration with dual cameras

Write here about construction, ideas, equipment, tips n tricks etc. related to structured light scanning
OBNRacerMan

Some tweak for close-up calibration with dual cameras

Post by OBNRacerMan »

At some point, I was faced with the inability to calibrate in a dual-camera configuration if the distance to the panels is very small (and only one side of the calibration angle normally enters the field of view of any camera)
I decided this by turning the calibration angle to the side. Then he got the opportunity to calibrate from any close distance at which the projector can focus.

For me, the working distance (from the projector to the table) for scanning small objects is now 130mm and the 30mm calibration panel is used.
Side view
Side view
View from program window
View from program window
I once shared this little tweak in other forums (including the HP 3D scanner forum)

It may be useful to someone.
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
Micr0

Re: Some tweak for close-up calibration with dual cameras

Post by Micr0 »

OBNRacerMan wrote: 20 Aug 2019, 07:23 At some point, I was faced with the inability to calibrate in a dual-camera configuration if the distance to the panels is very small (and only one side of the calibration angle normally enters the field of view of any camera)
I decided this by turning the calibration angle to the side. Then he got the opportunity to calibrate from any close distance at which the projector can focus.

For me, the working distance (from the projector to the table) for scanning small objects is now 130mm and the 30mm calibration panel is used.
20190724171116s.jpg20190724171215s.jpg

I once shared this little tweak in other forums (including the HP 3D scanner forum)

It may be useful to someone.
Of all the panels and camera/projector configurations I've tried, I never though to try to turning the calibration panels sideways. Inverted, yes. But not sideways. This could solve a number of problems. Thank you for this idea.
µ
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

It is possible (I cannot verify this) that such a calibration option will be incompatible, for example, with an automatic rotary table. With this position of the calibration table, the program thinks that the cameras are above and below the projector. Therefore, the scanned object is also turned to the side. With manual or semi-automatic gluing, this does not lead to problems (just get used to the fact that the scan also lies on its side :D )
Most importantly, with this arrangement of panels, I can now scan very small objects (such as coins)
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
martan

Post by martan »

Must try that!

Thanks!

:-)
HP 3D Scan, Optoma ML750, 2x IS DMK 23UX236 with Computar 12mm, HP calibration panel, DIY Rotary tables.