Frequencies in David SLS Macro scan

Write here about construction, ideas, equipment, tips n tricks etc. related to structured light scanning
mxtar_2001

Frequencies in David SLS Macro scan

Post by mxtar_2001 »

I was creating a coin scan but not 100% satisfied with surface. I have some frequency from projector in the result that bothers me. I was changing fps relation between cam and projector as well as shutter time etc. no mayor changes somebody have a idea?
Scan_Waves.JPG
Micr0

Re: Frequencies in David SLS Macro scan

Post by Micr0 »

mxtar_2001 wrote: 14 Oct 2019, 11:10 I was creating a coin scan but not 100% satisfied with surface. I have some frequency from projector in the result that bothers me. I was changing fps relation between cam and projector as well as shutter time etc. no mayor changes somebody have a idea?
Scan_Waves.JPG
The periodic ridges tend to be camera and projector sync and the roughness is noise (from any number of sources) in my experience. Without more information, I'd say that the roughness on your scan looks like incorrect exposure level. That said, after taking a bunch of scans and aligning them, some of it will go away when you fuse the scans together. You are getting very good detail on the coin features. Check your exposure levels and try completing a few scans to see how the fused mesh comes out. Play around with the smoothing level while fusing a see what results you get.

Let us know.
µ
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

Did you use one or two cameras for scanning?
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
mxtar_2001

Post by mxtar_2001 »

Thanks for the feedback so far. I think periodic sync is a topic as it is no standard hardware. Some possibility to get rid of this periodic ridges? I tried plug unplug or different racios between projector and cams and I can see no change.
What about exposure? normally sensors have some idle point in this case I think shutter timing can be longer and aperture can be lower?
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

Maybe the settings in the program itself are incorrectly made?
Here is a scan made with three different settings, with the third (yellow) being scanned twice as fast as the first (green), and the second (blue) longer than the third and, at the same time, it turned out with very low quality (bands are visible):
Three scans with different program settings
Three scans with different program settings
These are the settings I use after I experimentally picked them up for my hardware:
Program settings
Program settings
profile_custom_01.jpg (20.95 KiB) Viewed 6226 times
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
bigbomber

Post by bigbomber »

mxtar_2001 wrote: 14 Oct 2019, 11:10 I was creating a coin scan but not 100% satisfied with surface. I have some frequency from projector in the result that bothers me. I was changing fps relation between cam and projector as well as shutter time etc. no mayor changes somebody have a idea?
Scan_Waves.JPG
It is due to your system configuration. To solve it, use both vertical and horizontal configuration for camera and projector and increase distance between camera and projector.
also increasing the contrast of cameras can help.