Visual comparison of different 3D scanning systems

Talking about a 3d scanner that doesn't fit into one of the other scanning methods? Here is the right place!
OBNRacerMan

Visual comparison of different 3D scanning systems

Post by OBNRacerMan »

I really got hold of the Intel Realsense D415 Depth Camera Scanning Module I bought with a "cheap" price.
And here I bring a small comparative test "on myself" of three scanning systems - from left to right - Kinect 360, Intel Realsense D415 and a home-made SLS scanner:
Pic 1
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 3
And here is only the "competition" of Depth camera scanners:
Kinect with 2Gb videomemory (he no longer needs)
Kinect with 2Gb videomemory (he no longer needs)
Realsense with 2Gb videomemory
Realsense with 2Gb videomemory
Big Capture:
Sofa (scanned with D415 and 2Gb videomemory)
Sofa (scanned with D415 and 2Gb videomemory)
Initially, my old GTX660 graphics card lacked 2GB of on-board video memory (the program uses the GPU and its memory with might and main) to run it at settings above average. As a result, I installed a modern video card GTX1660 with 6GB of memory on board. It was possible to raise the resolution of the “depth” part of the module to 704 voxels (the scanning speed also increased and became smoother due to the higher fps).

And, of course, a scan on D415 after replacing a video card with an increased number of "brains" :D :
Realsense with 6Gb videomemory
Realsense with 6Gb videomemory
Conclusions:
In general, Kinect loses to everyone (but its price with a special power supply unit is about 3 thousand rubles*), then comes the fairly solid “middling” Intel Realsense D415 (there is also a D435 / D435i option - but because of the very wide viewing angle they are not suitable for 3D scanning) - the average price of 16 thousand. (I found half the price :-)). Well, the best quality option (which, in fact, it’s practically impossible to scan a person) is from 15 thousand (with used components of the initial level and so-so quality) to 40 thousand, for a fully working option, or 80 thousand, in the version like mine now.
Depth scanners are also real-time scanners that record in motion, unlike SLS, where even a small shift of the scanned object can lead to “marriage” - and they, in general, have different tasks.
P.S. Prices in Russia in national currency
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
Micr0

Re: Visual comparison of different 3D scanning systems

Post by Micr0 »

Thanks for this.
In these scans you look angry. Is that because you spent money to find out david was the best? :)

the sense looks like it might be good for room scanning.

OBNRacerMan wrote: 26 Dec 2019, 21:58 I really got hold of the Intel Realsense D415 Depth Camera Scanning Module I bought with a "cheap" price.
And here I bring a small comparative test "on myself" of three scanning systems - from left to right - Kinect 360, Intel Realsense D415 and a home-made SLS scanner:
test_heads_01.jpgtest_heads_02.jpgtest_heads_03.jpg

And here is only the "competition" of Depth camera scanners:
rec_kinect_01.jpgrec_d415_01.jpg

Big Capture:
rec_rs_01.jpg

Initially, my old GTX660 graphics card lacked 2GB of on-board video memory (the program uses the GPU and its memory with might and main) to run it at settings above average. As a result, I installed a modern video card GTX1660 with 6GB of memory on board. It was possible to raise the resolution of the “depth” part of the module to 704 voxels (the scanning speed also increased and became smoother due to the higher fps).

And, of course, a scan on D415 after replacing a video card with an increased number of "brains" :D :
rec_d415_02.jpg

Conclusions:
In general, Kinect loses to everyone (but its price with a special power supply unit is about 3 thousand rubles*), then comes the fairly solid “middling” Intel Realsense D415 (there is also a D435 / D435i option - but because of the very wide viewing angle they are not suitable for 3D scanning) - the average price of 16 thousand. (I found half the price :-)). Well, the best quality option (which, in fact, it’s practically impossible to scan a person) is from 15 thousand (with used components of the initial level and so-so quality) to 40 thousand, for a fully working option, or 80 thousand, in the version like mine now.
Depth scanners are also real-time scanners that record in motion, unlike SLS, where even a small shift of the scanned object can lead to “marriage” - and they, in general, have different tasks.
P.S. Prices in Russia in national currency
µ
OBNRacerMan

Re: Visual comparison of different 3D scanning systems

Post by OBNRacerMan »

Micr0 wrote: 29 Dec 2019, 17:03 the sense looks like it might be good for room scanning.
I bought the D415 as a better replacement for the very primitive Kinect. And this is a pretty good solution, quite suitable for scanning rooms, as well as for scanning people and faces.
SLS technology has much higher quality, but it imposes a lot of restrictions (even scanning a face (from several angles) proved to be a very difficult task).
Those. these D415 and SLS scanners play in different "weighted" categories (and for very large objects (such as monuments, buildings) photogrammetry technology is used)

Therefore, I am pleased with what I received (although if, in addition to speed, it would also give quality like SLS, I would be just happy :D )
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret