HP 3D scan and 4K cameras

Write here about construction, ideas, equipment, tips n tricks etc. related to structured light scanning
Shefajs

HP 3D scan and 4K cameras

Post by Shefajs »

I'm outraged with HP 3D scan software.

I can't make it to accept any of the 4K cameras or capture cards. Does anyone has it working???

On old David forum, there were a few people that had it working on David 4. Now it seems any support for high res input is almost gone.

I have a Panasonic GH4 as primary camera.

I then bought the Innogeni 4k2USB3 capure card to get the Panasonic high quality HDMI output in the computer. This works fine up till 1920x1080 where inogeni support for YUYV finish. All other formats HP 3D scan just do not support.

Then I bought Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro 4k capture card. And the story repeats but this time it's impossible to see any input in HP 3D scan. It seems that previous users got it working in David 4 with RGB24 video format which is not working in HP 3D scan.

Does ANYONE HERE have high resolution cameras working in HP 3D scan or David 5 ???

The best resolution I can get from my PointGrey camera which can compromise fps over resolution and accepts 3,2MP 2080x1552 pixels and does indeed support YUYV2 format.

Otherwise for HDMI in 4K there is only a few options left to try - Magwell capture cards claims to support 4K in YUY2 formats.
OBNRacerMan

Re: HP 3D scan and 4K cameras

Post by OBNRacerMan »

Hi. I use ordinary inexpensive UVC cameras that issue 25fps in resolution 2592x1944 (YUY2) and work via USB 3.0 (in resolution 1920x1080 they show 60fps (YUY2))
chinese YW500U3 Camera
chinese YW500U3 Camera
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
bigbomber

Post by bigbomber »

OBNRacerMan wrote: 12 Aug 2019, 10:06 Hi. I use ordinary inexpensive UVC cameras that issue 25fps in resolution 2592x1944 (YUY2) and work via USB 3.0 (in resolution 1920x1080 they show 60fps (YUY2))
YW500U3_HP_2592x1944.jpg
can I know more about your camera?
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

bigbomber wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 10:47 can I know more about your camera?
Here is a link to Aliexpress, I bought different options:
With relatively large body (black)
And also in a miniature case (red)
Front view
Front view
Rear view
Rear view
At present, I use a "red" miniature version, but it has a lot of problems (the cameras hardly turn on (you have to turn them on / off many times in the program), in the manual shutter speed mode a catastrophic drop in the frame rate (instead of 60 it turns out 9.7)). In full resolution, they generally do not produce more than 16.7 frames per second in any shutter speed mode.
Therefore, I recommend a larger option for the purchase - there were no problems with them.
I found out that both options have the same manufacturer:
ShenZhen YangWang Technology Co., Ltd.
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
Mr_Lafuente

Post by Mr_Lafuente »

OBNRacerMan wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 14:33 Here is a link to Aliexpress, I bought different options:
With relatively large body (black)
Just found this topic and i have to thank OBNRacerMan for is hints.
I'm gathering the things to my new SLS system, and i'm facing some techincal doubts. Like: Your Black camera has an 1/2.5" Sensor, while the used by HP/David has 1/2.8". Sinse your camera has a smaller sensor, what is the impact on the final results comparing with an 1/2.8" sensor?

Would you mind to share the link for you lenses as well?

Thanks again!
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

Mr_Lafuente wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 20:45 Your Black camera has an 1/2.5" Sensor, while the used by HP/David has 1/2.8". Sinse your camera has a smaller sensor, what is the impact on the final results comparing with an 1/2.8" sensor?
The 1/2.5" sensor is larger than 1/2.8"
In the meantime, I switched to 6.3MP monochrome cameras more suitable for 3D scanning with an even larger 1/1.8" matrix SONY IMX178).
The pixel size on the 5.1MP camera and the 1/2.5" sensor is 2.2μm, on the expensive 6.3MP camera with the 1/1.8" sensor - 2.4μm (there was also an idea to buy a camera with an even more sensitive SONY IMX385 2.3Mp 1/2" matrix and a pixel size of 3.75μm - but such cameras were only with a color image, and I did not buy them)
Mr_Lafuente wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 20:45 Would you mind to share the link for you lenses as well?
I'm not sure that my direct link to the lenses for Russian AliExpress will work for you. But, in which case - you can use the search for ZLKC Official Store (they have many different lenses and, as I already wrote many times, they need to be selected according to the focal length to the projection size that your projector produces)
Mr_Lafuente

Post by Mr_Lafuente »

OBNRacerMan wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 22:33 The 1/2.5" sensor is larger than 1/2.8"
My mistake. Sorry for that. Now i got it.
Mr_Lafuente wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 20:45 I'm not sure that my direct link to the lenses for Russian AliExpress
Yeah, worked perfectly.
OBNRacerMan wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 22:33 ...as I already wrote many times, they need to be selected according to the focal length to the projection size that your projector produces)
Do you still use the Byintek R9? In this case what is the relation between the projector and the Lens, that i have to care about?
Would the Epson 740HD be usable with this Lens?

Maybe you already have wrote it in some other post. If you want to refer to some post that have a more detailed information i will be appriciated.
Since i'm starting with SLS, i tried to get information about Custom Stuctured Light over the internet, but seems that the biggest forum which used to be held by DAVID was vanished by HP. So i didn't have too much to start with until i find this very good forum here.
In fact i thought some one could had made some "Recipe" for a DAVID alike hardware, but seems everyone who had success on Custom SLS, made by themself. And you are being a very nice person in sharing your knoledge with us. Thanks again.
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

Mr_Lafuente wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 12:38 Maybe you already have wrote it in some other post. If you want to refer to some post that have a more detailed information i will be appriciated.
Here on the last photo you can see the projection size from my projector at a distance of 350mm (this is a rectangle of 250x150mm size)
Mr_Lafuente wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 12:38 Do you still use the Byintek R9? In this case what is the relation between the projector and the Lens, that i have to care about?
Would the Epson 740HD be usable with this Lens?
Yes, I still use R9 (good projectors with a higher resolution are much more expensive, so I have postponed the purchase of such a projector for an indefinite future)...
Now I can’t find where I gave links to the optical calculator, so I'll give it again
Using an optical calculator, I select the focal length of the lens so that my camera (with the selected sensor size settings) "sees" a similar (or slightly smaller) size, than what the projector shows.
The result for a 1/1.8 "camera and an F-12mm lens at a distance of 0.35m
The result for a 1/1.8 "camera and an F-12mm lens at a distance of 0.35m
But it should be noted that lenses with a fixed focal length (namely, I recommend using them) have a certain gradation in these distances, such as 6-8-12-14-16mm, etc. And if it doesn’t come to get the closest possible value, then you can “play around” with the camera’s location relative to the projector (in my case they are above the projector, closer to its rear (and, for example, in the original David / HP assembly, the cameras are in front of the projector))

Maybe I wrote a little messy ... but I think that you will understand :D
Mr_Lafuente

Post by Mr_Lafuente »

OBNRacerMan wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 16:47 Maybe I wrote a little messy ... but I think that you will understand :D
No messy infomartion at all... In fact I'm so gratefull for your explanations that i'm thinking to make a rig just like yours.
OBNRacerMan wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 16:47 ]Here[/url][/b] on the last photo you can see the projection size from my projector at a distance of 350mm (this is a rectangle of 250x150mm size)
Nice. Did you change anything in the Projector? I saw you are able to focus at 110mm to macro scans. So this 350mm and 110mm are just moving the rig away and closer to the object?
OBNRacerMan wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 16:47 Yes, I still use R9 (good projectors with a higher resolution are much more expensive, so I have postponed the purchase of such a projector for an indefinite future)...
Is there any noticeble difference upgrading your projector to a FullHD model? I read that going above HD is not necessary. Even the Acer used by DAVID/HP isn't FullHD. What is the downsize of you projector, if theres any, ofcourse?
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

Mr_Lafuente wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 17:45 Nice. Did you change anything in the Projector? I saw you are able to focus at 110mm to macro scans. So this 350mm and 110mm are just moving the rig away and closer to the object?
I did not redo anything in the projector, this is a feature of this model. But the minimum distance that my projector can focus on is very difficult to use, because it produces a very small depth of field. Therefore, I prefer distances from 150mm and more.
Mr_Lafuente wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 17:45 Is there any noticeble difference upgrading your projector to a FullHD model? I read that going above HD is not necessary. Even the Acer used by DAVID/HP isn't FullHD. What is the downsize of you projector, if theres any, ofcourse?
In David 3 cameras had a resolution of only (if I am not mistaken) 1920x1080.
When working with high-resolution cameras, we are faced with the problem of the size of the pixel projected by the projector onto the object - these 5.1MP and 6.3MP cameras see these pixels quite well, and reducing the resolution of such a camera will not help when scanning - there is no interpolation in them, i.e. lower resolution is obtained from the partial use of the pixels of the camera sensor.
Cameras, initially having lower resolution, seem to “smear” the pixels of the projector.
Therefore, I think that, in my case, using a high-resolution projector can improve the quality of the scan. But I can’t test this hypothesis in practice yet.