Camera upgrade question - IR filters / shutters

Discuss about cameras, projectors, calibration panels, turntables etc.
pottersfriend

Camera upgrade question - IR filters / shutters

Post by pottersfriend »

Just thinking about updating my camera and it's been a long time since I've done any scanning or reading on the forums. But I was just wondering if it matters too much if the cameras have IR cut off filters or not. Doesn't seem like it should but not sure. I'm also wondering if it matters if it's global or rolling shutter anymore.

Thanks
IS DFK-37BUX178 (2x) w/16mm, Dell M110, LG PF1500, HP3DS, & FS3D
OBNRacerMan

Re: Camera upgrade question - IR filters / shutters

Post by OBNRacerMan »

I now use monochrome cameras with a rolling shutter (as I understand it, for the principle of scanning with structured light, which is used in David / HP3Dscan, the type of camera shutter does not really matter, because the object remains stationary relative to the camera during scanning). But in cases of real-time systems (such as EinScan) Global Shutter is already urgently needed.
P.S. As for IR filters, I can’t say anything about the need to have them.
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
pottersfriend

Post by pottersfriend »

Thanks for the info OBNRacerMan. From what little I read I was pretty sure that the shutter wouldn't matter but just wanted to hear it from someone else. I found some used DFK 37BUX178 Imaging Source cameras on ebay that I can get for about half the price of new so I'm hoping they might be a good option to try. I see you have 6.3 mega pixel cameras now. Looking forward to seeing what your scans look like.
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

pottersfriend wrote: 17 May 2020, 14:31 Looking forward to seeing what your scans look like.
The scans made by the new camera (then still only one) come from this point, and only in the last post did the scan made by two such cameras appear. Since I managed to get a second camera only a few days ago.

P.S. I don’t know what the settings options for your cameras are. In order for HP3Dscan to see both cameras, I had to change their names (fortunately, in the driver of my cameras there is such an option in which you can name the camera whatever). For convenience, I made the names SUA630ML and SUA630MR (for the left and right cameras, respectively).
New camera name
New camera name
If the cameras have the same names, it may very well be that the program will see only one camera. Also, in the event of such a problem, you can try changing the name of at least one camera through the registry.
But, again, this problem may or may not be.
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
pottersfriend

Post by pottersfriend »

Thanks again OBNRacerMan. I'm hoping the device/camera name isn't an issue. I'm not sure how I would change them for the Imaging Source cameras.
Oteck

Post by Oteck »

I'd like to say that rolling shutters shows it's issue once you start using high resolution scans, it's an issue i have been suffering for the longest time using telescope cameras with rolling with high resolution :( I know this as it follows the camera orientation
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

Oteck wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 05:55 I'd like to say that rolling shutters shows it's issue once you start using high resolution scans, it's an issue i have been suffering for the longest time using telescope cameras with rolling with high resolution :( I know this as it follows the camera orientation
I worked with different cameras with rolling shutter ranging from cheap to quite expensive, and noticed problems only if it was impossible to synchronize the frequencies of the cameras and the projector (cheap cameras did not have the ability to accurately set the exposure time, only "photographic" values are available there ... like 1/32s, 1/64s, 1/128s). I usually set the exposure on cameras to 16.666ms and have no bands.
P.S. My previous Mindvision SUA630 cameras worked fine even at 8.333ms, which corresponded to 120fps at a low resolution of 1920 * 1080 (but there was no suitable projector to realize this potential)
Oteck

Post by Oteck »

thanks for the reply, i don't recall seeing those kind of exposure since i've quite given up on them
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

Global shutter cameras are generally more versatile ... but they are extremely expensive.