Kurokesu C1

Discuss about cameras, projectors, calibration panels, turntables etc.
Carko

Kurokesu C1

Post by Carko »

Hey,

has anyone had any success with using Kurokesu C1 with DAVID?

I have received mine today and while it is very cute, I was unable to get anything useful out of it. :(

There is so much noise that I am barely able (after dozens of tries) to get DAVID to calibrate, even with longer exposure and gain set to 0.

Here is the best image I was able to produce: Image

It seems that good low light performance was achieved by cranking up sensor gain, even on the lowest setting.

The other problem is that the Exposure control only allows setting it in huge steps (power of two?), meaning I was unable to come even close to getting rid of the flickering due to the projector and/or ambient light refresh rate.

I contacted the author of the camera and while kind, he was unable to provide any useful information or remedy as he does not develop (nor does he have sources to) the firmware.

Did anyone have any similar or different experience with this camera?
Oteck

Re: Kurokesu C1

Post by Oteck »

you need to set it to YUV and not in mjpg as compression will ruin the scan. you'll be limited to 5fps since its a usb2 device trying to stream uncompressed video
Carko

Post by Carko »

Thanks!

Setting it to YUV does improve the picture (the compression artifacts), however the noise is still humongous regardless of any setting and any scans I'm able to do are noisy to say at least. With Logitech C615, the image degrades very little using MJPEG and I can make very decent scans at 30 fps.

Also, although Kurokesu apparently supports h.264 compression @30fps, the default driver does not, so it can't be used in DAVID :( .
Oteck

Post by Oteck »

This is on YUY2 @ 1/8 exposure with the K132 brightness at 57
2017-04-06_19-48-39.png
WaldoPepper

Post by WaldoPepper »

Just out of curiosity: which lens are you using?
Oteck

Post by Oteck »

WaldoPepper wrote: 19 Jun 2017, 09:54 Just out of curiosity: which lens are you using?
I'm using the higher end 5-55mm he selling on the same site. These are very good lens as it's very flat which is very rare for a zoom
WaldoPepper

Post by WaldoPepper »

Oteck wrote: 21 Jun 2017, 06:07 I'm using the higher end 5-55mm he selling on the same site
...that was the one I was looking for in the first place, but they are out of stock at Kurokesu.

Found and ordered it on AliExpress, fingers crossed I will really get it ;-)
_jack_

Post by _jack_ »

I'm interested in this camera. Can you show some scan result ? Thank you