3D scanning - high resolution for small objects

Write here about construction, ideas, equipment, tips n tricks etc. related to structured light scanning
gkrywusha

Re: 3D scanning - high resolution for small objects

Post by gkrywusha »

Hey all,

It's been awhile for me since the David forum and I just found this one.

In regard to scanning small objects, that's what I'm doing now. Mostly 32mm miniatures for gaming and such.

I still use HP Scan/David 5. Projector is Acer K132 with am Imaging Source DMK 23UX236 using Computar lens.

In order to achieve a decent quality I use a 4+ Vivitar attached to the front of the projector via a 3d printed adapter.

Here's a base 32mm mini with base fusion and no cleanup...

Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

gkrywusha wrote: 14 Mar 2021, 06:32 Hey all,

It's been awhile for me since the David forum and I just found this one.

In regard to scanning small objects, that's what I'm doing now. Mostly 32mm miniatures for gaming and such.

I still use HP Scan/David 5. Projector is Acer K132 with am Imaging Source DMK 23UX236 using Computar lens.

In order to achieve a decent quality I use a 4+ Vivitar attached to the front of the projector via a 3d printed adapter.

Here's a base 32mm mini with base fusion and no cleanup...

Very nice.

What is the focal length of your lenses?

I have tried magnifying lenses on the projector and and always got significant distortion in the scan data. You don't seem to have that problem.
µ
gkrywusha

Post by gkrywusha »

Here's the one I use...

computar M1214-MP2 C-Mount 12mm Fixed Lens

This is sold on many online stores. I bought my 5 years ago from B&H.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... O_EALw_wcB

The sites say Focal Length is 12mm. As most of my scans are between 40-120mm, I have a table tripod set at about 1 foot away from the turntable. The projector with the 4+ adapter seems to have enough focus to work at this distance.

I am rebuilding now to add the second camera, create a blackbox with Black 3.0 paint and such. Hardest is redesigning the projector wedge for the addition of dovetail use.

Let me know if you need any more info.
gkrywusha

Post by gkrywusha »

This is the set of lenses I use for the projector. They aren't available (this brand) on Amazon at this point. But there are others.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004E ... UTF8&psc=1

Having them at 37mm made them the right size to create an appropriate adapter for the projector - K132.
letstry001

Post by letstry001 »

Hi, i have some questions about small objet scan...

1) which scan configuration panels are you using to scan very smal objects (es: 0.5-2 cm)?
2) what vertical angle do you use between the camera and the projector? May i need to calculate it ?

Thank you
NARMELLA

Post by NARMELLA »

letstry001 wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 13:25 Hi, i have some questions about small objet scan...

1) which scan configuration panels are you using to scan very smal objects (es: 0.5-2 cm)?
2) what vertical angle do you use between the camera and the projector? May i need to calculate it ?

Thank you
Two main parameters are important for scanning components ( any size of components).

The size of projected image on a component and the size of the image that is taken for use in the software.
Both must be proportionate.

The image projected on the component should be as close to the size of the component.

The same goes for the image taken.

After all you will find the right size of colibration panel.

About vertical angle : it completely depends to your hardware and the software that you want to use. ( dls has minimum triangulation angle and i use it.)

Narmella.
bigbomber

Post by bigbomber »

NARMELLA wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 07:46 Two main parameters are important for scanning components ( any size of components).

The size of projected image on a component and the size of the image that is taken for use in the software.

The image projected on the component should be as close to the size of the component.

About vertical angle : it completely depends to your hardware and the software that you want to use. ( dls has minimum triangulation angle and i use it.)

Narmella.

Hi
what is dls?
mading

Post by mading »

Single lens digital reflex?
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable
Alonso

Post by Alonso »

Hi
what is dls?
David Laser Scanner
letstry001

Post by letstry001 »

NARMELLA wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 07:46
letstry001 wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 13:25 Hi, i have some questions about small objet scan...

Thank you
Two main parameters are important for scanning components ( any size of components).

Narmella.

Sorry but...what is the dls minimum vertical triangulation angle ?